Saturday, September 12, 2015

4 Year Old Genius

I may be biased, but I am convinced Mason is the smartest four year old in the world.  I am sure all moms feel this way about their children, and I am no exception.  There are times though when my four year old acts like a teenager and then he can also act like a baby.  You never know what Mason you are going to get.  Today at his well-check exam with Dr. Curly, we got Mason the baby. He screamed, cried, and made the biggest scene just to check his weight and height.  Little did he know the worst was yet to come.  After numerous threats and many apologies to the nurse, we found out that Mason weighs 36.6 pounds and is 41 inches tall.  (This is the perfect height for most of the rides at Disney!)  Checking his vision was a challenge as well, but at least he calmed down a bit at this point.  He was able to read most of the letters on the chart.  His vision is 20/30 which Dr. Curly says is excellent for a boy his age.  I hope it stays that way because Marc and I do not have great vision.  My little man is growing and in perfect health!

Since starting pre-k 3 weeks ago, Mason has matured and learned more than I could ever imagine in such a short time.  Here are some of the things Mason has learned and is doing:


  • Mason can write his name.  We worked on this all summer.  Our goal was to have him writing his name before he turned 4, and that was definitely achieved.  
  • Mason recites the pledge of allegiance when he sees an American flag.  I was floored when he started doing this two weeks ago!
  • Mason is very aware of the state and city in which we live.  He has known the number of our house and the street we live on for over a year, but now he understands about other locations as well.  "Australia has kangaroos and koalas.  The one on the bottom is Antarctica with penguins. We live in Phoenix, Arizona."  This was our conversation after school the other day!
  • He knows and understands the days of the week and recites them in order.  "Tomorrow is Friday which is my home day with Grandma.  Then it is the weekend and we are all home together."  Genius!
  • Mason no longer wants to take a bath.  He is taking showers and pretty much does everything himself.  "Close the door mommy, I can do this by myself."  This makes me sad because he is growing more and more independent.
Mason is an amazing son, a caring older brother, and an all around great kid!  We are blessed!

I am so proud of this little man!

This was the calm before the storm.  Bribing him with Flipz worked for a bit, until the nurse came back with the shots:(



No comments:

Post a Comment